Thursday, November 27, 2008

Hot-linking....And a journal jar...

Hey all! Hope you all had a fun time shopping today! (if you went out). I was out briefly this morning and it wasn't too bad where I went. I didn't buy much, just some fleece to make one blanket! But I didn't try to brave the malls or the huge "box stores" as they call them in Vermont. When we moved here and heard that term we were like, "what are box stores???" Well people here refer to Best Buy, Staples, Toys R Us, Circuit City, Bath and Body Works as "box stores." I am not sure why....maybe it's because they are all shaped like big boxes!! I had never heard them called that before we moved here! LOL Thought that was funny.

So there's been A LOT of posting recently about "hot-linking." Have you heard of this? Here and here and here and here are some posts on the subject. Julie Ebersole and Kristina Werner have valuable information on their blogs. Those are the links I just provided. Please check them out. I wasn't aware of it....
So on to my project! I am so happy with how this Journal Jar turned out! This one will be for my daughter's teacher (1st grade). I absolutely LOVE this idea. I hadn't seen one before and it's easy, fast, inexpensive, and super cute! Here is the jar I saw that inspired me to make my own. I just love Nicole's blog! So many wonderful creations!

This glass jar came from Michaels. It is approximately 4 inches tall and the top is approximately 4 inches in diameter. I used a combination of my Cricut Mini Monograms Cartridge, my purple Marvy Scallop Circle Punch, regular circle punches, and my Cuttlebug Scallop Circle Dies to make all the layers. The ribbon came from MIchaels as well. It has a satin feel to it.The little strips of paper inside the jar are individual questions that you or an interviewer might ask a teacher. They were made using my computer and printer. I can email you my list if you are interested in making one of your own. I used the list Nicole provided but I also added two more pages of questions that I found on the internet when I googled "questions to ask a teacher." First I cut them out into strips and then I curled them with my bone folder, just like curling ribbon! Instead of using a butter knife or scissors, I used my bone folder because I was afraid of tearing the paper.
The top was made with my purple Marvy Scallop Circle Punch and my Cricut Mini Monograms Cartridge. I inked the edges of the scallops using a makeup sponge and Close to Cocoa ink. The apple image is stamped using VersaColor black ink and then embossed with Clear Detail Embossing Powder. I then colored the apples with my Prismacolor Markers. I added a little white from a gel pen on the highlight of the apple.The sentiment is from Hero Arts. It is one long sentence but I wanted to break it up into two lines so I used my Stampa-ma-jig for placement. I decided to use this sentiment since the journal jar is meant to be used on a daily basis, and hopefully the questions in the jar will help the teacher document her career over the years. The small medallion on the front of the jar was made using my Cricut (same cartridge), my Cuttlebug Scallop Circle Dies, and regular circle punches. There are some dimensionals in between two of the layers. I love that look!
If you'd like to make one for your child's teacher, and wish to use the questions I cut out, please let me know and I will email you the word document. It's a really cool project and one that I really enjoyed making! If you have any questions please let me know! Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment