Monday, February 4, 2008

Valentine Cootie Catcher

Can I just tell you how fun these are to make?? I saw so many of these popping up in the gallery today and decided I had to try one! This was one of the Try a New Technique Challenges at SCS. Click here for instructions and samples.

They're fun, and a little time consuming but I love the reward at the end! I used my Marvy punches as well as EK Success small folk heart and tiny folk heart, EK Success 1" and 1 1/8" circle punches. I used two stamps as well; sentiment by Stampa Rosa, and a tiny circle stamp. It actually has three tiny dots on the stamp and it came with a backgrounds set from Joanns or Michaels.The tiny brown hearts are raised with dimensionals, The large bow is wired ribbon to hold it's shape, the little white bows are attached with glue dots, the circles are also attached with glue dots. Each pocket flap is lined with red cardstock. The large pink heart is also raised with dimensionals. I used a popsicle stick to hold the large heart and then cut a slit on the top of the peak and slid the stick through. It actually touches the table so it gives it more stability. I used uchida inks for my distressing and stazon blazing red for the sentiment. Here are the instructions for the fortune teller fold. It's very simple; remember those cootie catchers we made as kids? Same thing!
After making all the folds, I unfolded mine and then in each corner I stamped my dots. I started out with an 8x8 piece of cardstock so my squares in each corner were 2 inches in diameter. Once I stamped in each corner, I flipped the cardstock over and in each corner again, this time I put a piece of red cardstock that was slightly smaller in diameter (1 7/8). This gave me my lined pocket flaps. When you fold down the flaps you see the red. The entire project is made from cardstock and can be hard to fold so you have to use a bone folder to get crisp creases. Hope you try on of these too! Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment