Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Wedding Cake Card

This is what I made this morning! I love it! It was time consuming but I love the end result! I don't know anyone getting married but that's ok! LOL Below you will find detailed photos and instructions.The first thing you want to do is get your Going Grey cardstock and vellum. Cut your cardstock to 11x5 1/4, and score it at 5 1/2, so that your completed card will be 5 1/4 x 5 1/2. Save the left over grey cardstock. Cut your vellum in three pieces; 1 1/4 x 1 1/2, 1 3/4 x 2, and 1 3/4 x 2 1/2. I then put the vellum pieces through my cuttlebug embossing plate. Note: The vellum may crack around the edges of the raised spots; it's okay....mine did the same thing.Next, adhere the vellum pieces to the scrap piece of grey cardstock. Use SU white craft ink and dab your finger on it and lightly tap your finger across the raised areas of the vellum. This will make them more prominent. Sorry about the different in color between the two pictures. Cut the vellem pieces out. Do not leave a grey border around them.Next, get out your versamark pad and silver embossing powder. Scrape one side, either left or right, of the cake piece on the pad. Do not scrap the top and bottom edges of the cake piece. You just want a tiny bit of ink on the edge.

Now lightly tap the inked edge in the embossing powder and heat set. Do one side at a time.
And do all three cake pieces.

Next, cut a piece of white cardstock to 5 x 5 1/2 inches. On the 5 1/2 inch side, tear a little strip off going all the way across, so that the piece ends up being 5 x 5 1/4 inches. Next you're going to adhere your cake pieces to the white cardstock. I adhered my cake pieces slightly off center so that I could stamp on the left side. NOTE: I did not adhere the white cardstock to the grey piece at this time! I just placed it there for the photo.
Now you are going to get your prima flowers and silver brads out! I did a bunch ahead of time so that I knew I had enough to cover the bottom and middle sections. Start in the middle on the bottom cake piece and work your way to the edges. Leave the torn edge showing at the bottom. I adhered them with Diamond Glaze, one at a time.I had to poke my flowers with my piercing tool to make sure the center was large enough to put the brad through.

I used reverse grip tweezers to grip the brad and poke it in the center. Work your way across each section, overlapping slightly so that there are no spaces between the primas.When you get to the top tier, again start in the middle but also place it low enough to allow the white cardstock to show above the flower.After 5 hours, this is what it looks like! Just kidding! LOL. Next gather your embossing supplies and the stamp of your choice. I used the word love from the Wonderful Words set. Turn the stamp upside down and pat the Versa Color ink pad on the rubber. This allows you to see where you're putting the ink and also prevents you from putting ink around the edges where you dont' want it!Next, pour the powder on the word. I used a little spoon for this to have more control. Tap off the excess on a scrap piece of paper so you can put the unused portion back into the container. Now heat set it. The Versa Color makes a crisper image and it's much more detailed.By this time, everthing is dry and you can adhere it to the grey cardstock. This is what it will look like! I love it! I hope you try one too! Tell what you think and if my instructions were clear enough. If you have any questions please let me know! Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment: