Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Greeting Cards for Vermont Soldiers...

I have been collecting cards for Vermont soldiers who are currently deployed to Iraq. I started almost a month ago and I have received over 300 cards to date from wonderful women I have "met" on SCS. One box with 268 cards was delivered to the Vermont coordinator last week who will in turn ship them overseas. I packaged the cards so that each soldier would get 4 different cards, with 4 different greetings on the outside like Happy Birthday or Thinking of You, etc. The soldier can then sign the card and write a little note inside and send that card to someone they care about back home. Greeting Cards overseas can be hard to come by. For the group who is receiving these cards, it is rare that they will find one to purchase over there. These cards are free and come in a care package filled with other needed supplies, like toothpaste or shaving cream. Each soldier receives a care package once a month from the Vermont coordinator until their deployment is over. So my goal is to have cards in each box every month!
When Jared was overseas, I sent him a box once a week but some soldiers as young as 19 don't get anything from home! That is why this program was set up. There are many volunteers who "adopt" a soldier and send him/her a care package once a month for their entire deployment. I think it's a wonderful program and I intend to do what I can to make sure cards are available to those who want them. Some of the cards I am receiving are made by children, and those are a favorite overseas!
If you would like to see the thread that I started on SCS, click on this link. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265864&page=9.

No comments:

Post a Comment